Our establishment seeks to promote materials engineering advanced research in our country, to train material engineers with both theoretical and practical experiences and ultimately to improve our standards of material industry in response to future national economic construction and high-tech materials related to the marine industry. Since our establishment in 1993, 25 doctoral students and 260 graduate students were educated, distributed in the industry, education, academia, architecture, construction industry and other related area. Because the department is an independent research institute, there are additional focus on theories, and more particularly to strengthen students’ operation of practical experience in a variety of precision instruments to cater students writing papers of experimental data collection and training after graduation to enter the industry engaged in the research and development work related needs.
Development and characteristics
The Department is divided into two groups:
- metallic materials
This group has six full-time teachers, one part-time teachers and one lectures teacher. Research area include: corrosion technology, welding technology, nano-film technology and advanced materials development.
- construction materials
Thisgroup has a full-time teacher, two part-time teachers and an adjunct teacher. Research area include: advance material structure, construction materials and resource development.
Curriculum planning can be divided into two major categories: metallic materials and construction materials. The major planning details as followed:
- Corrosion research and development of corrosion resistant alloys
- High temperature corrosion and oxidation of materials
- Research of material surface modification technology
- Research of special materials and nano materials
- Research of thin film ceramic materials processing
- Effect of diffusion barriers
- Study of electronic ceramic film and low-dimensional nanostructures
- Material welding technology
- Corrosion of RC structure and development of Strengthening RC technology
- Study of high performance concrete
Curriculum planning directions are compatible not only with the international latest research trends, industry demands, cultivating professional personnel, but also the interests of our Department`s main goal “nurture nation-building in the industrial, technological and economic development of the necessary material science the development and application of advanced research scientist”.